This weekend was packed full of WL club, a high school basketball state championship, hanging out with my parents, a sleepover (and lots of Yahtzee and dominos) at Grammy and PopPop's, brunch and church with Gram, a mentor tea for a YL friend, and then dinner at the Walnut house (aka some friends house). I was able to sneak in some homework and studying here and there, but the majority of my time was spent with people that I love.
Last night, Emma offered to make Mackenzie and I dinner, so we went over to her house and ate delicious lemon rosemary pasta and salad. Courtney and Melissa joined us, and the five of us spent the next six hours talking and talking and talking. There's a piece of me that misses living in the dorms because we all lived on the same floor and went to dinner together every night and were just with each other more! However, I think we can all agree we like having our own space and not wearing shower shoes more. In six hours, we discussed politics and the upcoming election. We talked about the Middle East and America's involvement overseas. We got deep and heavy and talked about the Holocaust, 9/11, and Columbine. We talked about genetics and the chances of blue eyed babies. We laughed about boys. We recalled our favorite old books, movies, and songs, and the weird ones too (The Neverending Story and Bunicula anyone??). We got giddy over the dreams of future engagements and weddings. We freaked out over government secrets and conspiracies. We sipped tea and ate the most divine brownies. We talked about waxing and the joys of being a woman. We dreamt of baby names and freaked out over the concept of motherhood. We face-swapped on Snapchat. It was six, sweet hours of honest friendship.
When Mackenzie and I finally got home, it was after 1am. We were beyond exhausted (thank you daylight savings) and mumbled about how we should have come home earlier and studied. But my cup was filled with happiness of being with my people. Last year, I was big into "the homework can wait, you don't get to live across the hall from your best friends forever!" and this year has really showed me what a gift that was. All of our lives have really picked up as sophomores and it's been so much more difficult to find those pockets of time to just be together, like we used to do at dinner in the C4C or brushing our teeth in the bathroom listening to Taylor Swift. Friends forever, homework whatever! I'm not going to remember that on Sunday March 13, 2016, I should have come home earlier and studied statistics. I'm going to remember the conversations and laughs with my friends about the ins and outs of the world and life.
So now, I should study. Four more days until spring break!
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment