"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Importance of Video

This past week's weather has been glorious! 70 degrees and sunny, a prelude to the best season to come, summer. I did quite a bit of driving this weekend (ok, not that much, but enough) and was listening to my Summer playlist folder on Spotify. It made me so nostalgic and so excited for summer, which is less than a month away for me! Cheers to finishing the semester on May 4th! One of my favorite Katie Herzig songs came on at one point and had me crying. With the sound of a song, I am instantly transported through time, and live through the memories from videos.

One drive to Sonic, senior year, at the light to turn onto Santa Fe, Mackenzie told me she was going to use the song "Summer" by Katie Herzig in the graduation video she was crafting. We listened to that song after the quick discussion, and then a few months later, when I was sitting poolside in San Diego, Mackenzie texted the link to the finished video.


We really went to Sonic a lot, Mackenzie ate a rancid graham cracker, wearing those blue gowns was surreal, I peed my pants (well, technically Mackenzie's lol) when Riley and Sierra jumped in the river, it was the best day of my life.

Details, details, I know. But these are details of something that happened two years ago that I can remember because they meant so much to me! And I equate this all the sweet gift of videos.

I first stumbled across the video sharing platform, Vimeo, my junior year. I watched a few different videos from similar people who all made "memory" videos, if you will. It was simply video footage from a specific event, usually with the voices and noise taken out, with music overlay. I was instantly inspired by the videos and was determined to become a video maker myself, especially since sentimental is my middle name. So, the first video I made was from the adventures of me and 5evers first day of summer.

Oh, it is shaky, oh it is the furthest thing from stunning HD quality footage, oh I added pictures in it. But it brings me right back to that day, as we hiked up the side of Jessica's mountain, ultimately resulting in Riley hurting her already injured knee, as we did spit takes off the porch, drinking Sprite out of plastic shot glasses while listening to LFMAO's "Shots" and Demi Lovato's "Something That We're Not", sleeping in the tent, watching "Sleepover".


People still don't always know what to do when they see I have my camera out and am clearly recording the current setting, but in the end life just happens and everyday moments are captured. And when it all comes together, it's the most incredible way to commemorate the past, while giving to the future.

I distinctly remember a conversation I had with my friend Kylee in 7th grade. I told her that I wished every minute of my life could be recorded so I could go back and watch it. She poignantly pointed out that if every minute was recorded, I would only get to live to the point where there was enough time for me to record enough and watch what I got. A pretty profound observation from a 13 year old. So my sweet little Vimeos fill my cup of desiring recorded moments.

I know there will be video from the day I get married, to the days my children are born. There will be video of the small things to, like trips to Sonic,

and afternoons at the ice rink

Growth and time will be visible




Cities are imprinted.








Time stands still, and it is all in perspective.


SO when words cannot be explained, and pictures do no do justice, I lean on video to tell the stories of the things in life that fill me up!

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment