I decided to bring back book talks this summer. I love that summer is full of stacks of library books and time to enjoy the stories others have to tell. When I was recovering from my surgery, I read a ton of books. Honestly, none of them were that great. So when I finally came around to this book, I was thrilled to have found such an enthralling book.
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight was rumored to be the Gone Girl of 2013. Never, ever, ever would I compare the two books. The only similarity between them is suspense. But other than that, not the same. I would consider Gone Girl to be a psychological thriller, whereas Reconstructing Amelia is more mystery.
I read the book quickly, which I think is very important to enjoying a fast-paced, suspense-filled book. When I read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn last summer, I definitely read it too slow and I think that resulted in me not really enjoying the book to its full potential. Reconstructing Amelia kept me interested the entire time, with different narrations from the past and the present. There was just enough twists to keep me turning the page. I think that the end got a little muddled as there was a few too many twists, but the book was still enjoyable.
The book whole book had me reflecting on my relationship with my mom, the things about myself I keep to myself, and the challenges that come with being a teenager. It's a coming of age novel, filled with the heartbreaks and awkwardness and being lost and found. Emotions are delicately played.
I so enjoyed this book after a slew of blah books. I recommend it as a quick, but meaningful read. I see a Lifetime movie in the future;) 4/5 stars.
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment