There's a whole bunch of things that I'm pretty
terrible at in life. Sports, politics, foreign languages, bundt cakes.... the
list is endless. But there are some things I like to think that I have
absolutely mastered, making me the expert. One of those things is
friendship.
I LOVE friendship. Shoot to the moon, into the
stars, love love love it. I am at the point in my life where I can really see
the truth, value, and rarity of true friendship, and know it is no light gift.
It should be treated as gold.
In this past year at college, I learned a lot
about friendship. (sidenote: how many times am I going to say "in this
past year at college, I learned a lot about...."? too many times)
I realized how much I had taken for
granted my best friends in high school.
I realized that friendship is not a given
right, it is an absolute privilege.
I also realized how the right people will come
into your life for the right season.
I realized that the best way to cultivate deep
friendship is by laying it all out there, being truly vulnerable.
I learned that the same issues with people
happen, wherever you go.
I realized it's ok not to please everyone, as
long as you are happy.
I realized that you don't need to apologize for
honesty.
I realized I need my people.
I like to think of life as a balancing act, sort
of like Jenga. Several blocks make up the structure, each a piece to
maintaining the peace. I have the ability of choosing what each block is and
its importance to the structure. For me, one of the key foundation blocks is
unconditional friendship.
Lucky for me, the foundation has always
remained.
In high school, I had the best group of friends
in the whole world. I often think of our memories, but I also often only think
of the good times. I talk about 5eva a lot, but you must know, before 5eva,
there was more to the group.
I know some people hate “group” friendships, but
that’s just the way things work, and honestly, I love having my group. I’m not
at all opposed to having friends outside the “group” but I loved having my
family, my home base, the people I could always come back to.
Anyways, our group changed drastically from
freshman year to senior year. Freshman year, our group was much larger. We were
all girls just entering high school, excited for what was to come, but also
clueless. The friendships were superficial, as we were trying to become
ourselves, but also become a friend. Insecurity was potent, but not abnormal
for our age. By the end of the year, our group had decreased, comfortably.
Sophomore year was a big transition year for me
as I said adios to my childhood best friend with quite the sting to the heart.
But I was also so comfortable with some of the girls from freshman year that I
leaned on them for support, and they loved me when I needed it most.
Junior year, we had really developed our solid
group of friends. It was so convenient, and I really did enjoy each girl and
their presence in my life.
Senior year, everyone did some growing, and 5eva
truly evolved as just the 5 of us. This friendship was deep and real. We got to
be closer than ever and held on to each other and each moment as we anticipated
the big change that was about to happen.
There were hiccups along the way, as happens
with any friendship, relationship, interaction with other people. But in the
end, the drama was minimal and natural.
I had my people, my group, my foundation.
Then came college.
No song truly captures the essence of college
better than “22” by Taylor Swift.
Happy, free, confused,
and lonely at the same time.
T God for going to the same college as my best
friend.
First semester was rough as heck. I was happy
(or at least I kept convincing myself I was), but I so craved the friendship
that I had had in high school. I wanted to have my people. I kept reassuring
myself I would find them, and that my happiness didn’t depend on that.
Mackenz and I spent a whole heck of a lot time
together. But it was awesome and we got to be closer than ever (who knew that
was possible).
I always worried a little about becoming Hannah,
and Hannah alone. I feared that we would just be “Hannah and Mackenzie” but
honestly, I feel like we are both our own people. While we do have a number of
similarities, we have our differences, that in the end, complement each other
perfectly. Plus, when it really comes down to it all, I would not be the Hannah I am today without having Mack.
Second
semester rolled around and the best of times with the best of friends rolled
along. I was filled with such shock, but such relief to have found my people.
It was incredible to see how these girls differed so much from my high school
group, but how they filled my heart in a whole new way. We spent many hours
quoting “The Office”, dancing on tables in classrooms, making cupcakes at
midnight, and singing “Mamma Mia”. We also spent many hours stressed, feeling
lost, and simply trying to survive this first step of “real life”. But we did
it together. And all the while, 5eva was there for me too, navigating the
valleys and mountains, miles apart.
We all came from such different backgrounds, from all walks of life. But we were all in the same place. Life with them became as familiar as life with the four family members I had lived with for 18 years. I wouldn't have made it without them.
My friends are my everything. They are my now,
my hopes, my dreams, my future. They see me in my ways I don’t see myself. We
carry each other, loving each other for who we were, who we are, and what we
will become.
So this one goes out to you, my gal pals. Thank
you for being my teachers and my biggest blessings. Love, love, love you.
xo
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment