There's something about cleaning that I just love.
Sweeping, vacuuming straight lines into carpet, mirrors without water spots, dust free table tops, trash bags full of junk, it's just refreshing. When physical clutter and dirt is cleared from my life, I am mentally clean and clear too.
Wasn't that nice little lead into talking about a new year? Like every other person on the Internet, I felt the need to talk about the new year. It's basically the rules of blogging to talk about each new year and your goals and opinions and what not. La duh. But I'm not lying about cleaning. I do love it. It's part of my routine, which is another thing I love.
I arrived back in Boulder Sunday night to start spring semester and upon the moment I turned my light on in my room, I slipped back into the same rhythmic routine, almost like I never left. Mackenzie and I cleaned out our refrigerator and cabinets, and boy did it feel great. I unloaded my bags, and soon enough, I was in my pajamas, going through the motions of my nightly routine, saying goodnight to Mackenzie after we warmed up our neck wraps in the kitchen (lol old couple dream team back in action), falling asleep after watching some Gilmore Girls. It felt comforting to back in the groove I've come to know these past few months.
So now you know I'm really just an 80-year old in a 19-year old's body, who loves routine and cleaning. As I went to my new classes yesterday and today, I heard from each professor the phrase "clean slate".
Is the new year a clean slate to you? For me, it sorta is, but mostly isn't.
I don't really do resolutions. I don't do loads of dictated self-improvement. January 1st is another day of being the best Hannah I can be.
I'm a believer in evolution.
I'm all about the caterpillar becoming the butterfly.
Back in 2013 and 2014, I chose a word of the year and really did benefit from having it tucked in my brain all year. I figured for 2016 I would choose another word. I wanted a word that would stretch me and help me grow, a word that would make me focus more. I couldn't decide between two words, so for 2016, I will be thinking of these 2 words in the many aspects of my life:
Back in 2013 and 2014, I chose a word of the year and really did benefit from having it tucked in my brain all year. I figured for 2016 I would choose another word. I wanted a word that would stretch me and help me grow, a word that would make me focus more. I couldn't decide between two words, so for 2016, I will be thinking of these 2 words in the many aspects of my life:
Intentional
&
Brave
I want to be more deliberate in my actions, to really make choices that are for the greater good.
I want to be brave and bold and take more risks, I want to have the courage to do more things that might break my heart temporarily to later make me more whole.
Tonight, I took Mack on a spontaneous drive up Flagstaff Mountain. I've had the idea burrowed in my mind for a while now and really wanted to drive up when the sun was setting because I knew how incredible the sky would be coupled with the view of the valley, but I was a little late in leaving. We still made it to the top as dusk was settling in. The flickering lights and the quiet were therapeutic for the soul. We drove up and down the mountain once more, just to take in the view while listening to our favorite mellow playlist. It was a great way to kick off the semester and year.
I know that 2016 is going to be a year of greatness. I know it will bring new, good things into my life and I'm hopeful for what I can give back. Cheers and happy new year!
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment