"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Monday, April 13, 2015

To My Sister(s)


I was talking on the phone with my mom tonight, catching up on the past 24 hours, and just chatting about whatever, like we always do. She told me she was trying to find a good, recent picture of Olivia for her poms tryout this week. I instantly thought of a photo shoot from the fall where at least few good pics were taken. I had Mack send them to me, but I looked through other pictures from that afternoon and smiled. I watched the video we made that day and completely began to tear up.




In late September, I was listening to Katie Herzig's latest album, excitedly awaiting her concert in October. "Thick as Thieves" came on as I was writing a paper and I was instantly taken back by how much I loved it, and then came the vision. I knew the phrase thick as thieves was often used to describe best friends or siblings. I immediately thought of my "sisters". Mackenzie, Olivia, Ainsley, Isabel, and I have this bond, one of sisters. Ours ages are staggered, so we are all in different seasons of life. As one of the older 'sisters' in the group, I get to share my wisdom (though it usually ignored) and relive the days of youth. We laugh, fight, and love each other. Mackenzie and I knew we just had to make a video to this song. It just evoked some emotion in me that I really can't even try to explain. So the day came and Mack and I were so pumped and ready. In true sister form, there was lots of criticism from the others. We took so so much video, and it's for the better you can't hear us. So much mocking. This is a more accurate video of the day;) But in the end, the big sisters got their way;)

Nonetheless, I love how the video turned out, no matter how cheesy. I love that the magic of sisterhood is captured. As I watched it, I was texting Mackenz, proclaiming my love for those younger three who we are so different from, yet love so much.

The first semester of college was not easy. It was great, don't get me wrong, but I was still trying to adapt and figure out this new life that was supposedly going to be the "best ever". I ached for the comfort of high school and home and the familiar. I loved the group text I had with O, Isabel, Ains, and Mack, and the times we had together when I was home. Looking back on it now, I am grateful for that difficult transitional period because it made me really appreciate those 'sisters' of mine. Mack pointed out that most of our friends have brothers, and from that, an appreciation for sisters has been born. (I do love my brother #blessed to have both).

Now as much as love Mack, Ains, and Isabel, I'm going to focus this post in on my own flesh and blood sister, Olivia.


So so rough


That's about right


Liv and I share a lot more differences than we do similarities, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I will never forget the day she was born, as I sat in the waiting room with my mom's friends, anxious to find out if I would be having a baby sister or baby brother. I so desperately wanted a little sister so we could wear matching outfits and play with dolls together and all that fun sister stuff. My mom's friend went off to get me some cranberry juice, but instead came back with my grandma, who had a smile spread across her face. She took my hand, as I went off to meet this new sibling of mine. When I found out it was a girl, my own little sister!, it was like all my dreams had come true.

Time went on and I realized she was not this perfect little doll/slave who would always comply with me. As we grew up, she began to copy me, steal from me, and push my buttons. But she was my baby sister. It's been incredible to watch her grow up and become herself, this fierce little creature who is my opposite, yet my pride (wow that sounds so weird). I love to see her work so hard and be so passionate, just like myself. Our arenas look different, as mine is usually in a chair with a textbook and a notebook, and hers is on the stage in front of hundreds of people.



What I lack in athletic talent, Olivia makes up for, plus more. The girl can dance. Like real dance. The kind that takes technique and grace and art, not just flailing your body all over the place and jumping to the rhythm (aka Hannah dancing). When she is on a stage, she shines. The girl works her tail end off, as she takes hours of dance classes a week, while still managing to get phenomenal grades, and very little sleep;) She sets her eye on the prize and will not quit until she gets it. I so wish I had her talent, and am always in awe by it.


Most of the time, I know she thinks I am the most annoying, mean, weird older sister. I am not cool and I embarrass her *almost* as much as mom does. But oh man, do I love her. I would go to the ends of the earth for her. and I am so insanely proud of her.

So Olive, it's the beginning of the big week, but girlfriend, you've got this. You have done this before and you are more than ready to do it again. You have the skills, you have the technique, you have the experience, you have the talent, but most of all you, you have the passion and charisma. You are unforgettable and dance with your heart, which makes you the best dancer possible. I am so proud of everything you do, and cannot wait to watch you dance more. I'll always be there screaming my brains out for you, and to take you to Sonic afterwards. Leave it all on the floor, sista. Love love love you.

xoxo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment