"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Get on the List

At my school, every senior is required to complete something called a Senior Project. People always make it out to be far worse than it really is. Don't get me wrong, it's stressful and a little nerve-wracking, but in the end it was one of my favorite parts of high school.

So you start off designing a project. You can do anything really, organize a sports camp, learn a new skill, shadow a professional, there's a lot of options. Then you write a research paper that has to be connected (at least "loosely" connected;)), you make a portfolio, write a speech, have a product, it's just a glorified project. You see, if you choose something you're actually interested in, it's not that bad. And let me tell you, I loved my project.

I organized a bone marrow drive through the foundation Love Hope Strength, raising awareness in the need for bone marrow donors. I wrote my paper on the ethics of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, and my final product was the drives alone.

I worked with the greatest lady, Katie, who is not only a manager at LHS, but a bone marrow transplant nurse. With her help, I was able to learn all about the procedure and how becoming a donor is one of the best decisions you could ever make.

So through lots of advertising and hard work, I organized two bone marrow drives and signed up 70 people to become donors throughout those two drives. While many people think signing up to be a bone marrow donor, it's easy and painless- just a swab of the cheek! For more information, check out my bone marrow blog here.

Senior poster
Portfolio that I sure am proud of!
Drive 1 - 56 people signed up!!


swab those cheeks! 
If you feel silly, you're doing it right!

S/O to these lovely volunteers!








Best decision of my life
My favorite little cancer fighter and survivor Miss Haven!
He's the best 
My fantastic mentor Katie!
My volunteers and mentor!
56 kits ready to be shipped off! 
Drive #2

 The day of boards, I was anxious to go. I talked a little faster than I should have but in the end, I passed and that's all that matters! Plus I had some really great judges who asked lots of great questions.


The day of boards (which is when you present your project to teachers and community members), I was anxious to go. I talked a little faster than I should have but in the end, I passed and that's all that matters! Plus I had some really great judges who asked lots of great questions. I signed up 5 more people that day and am now 25 people away from meeting my goal of signing up 100 people by the time I graduate! This is now a lifelong thing for me- I'm now able to sign up people at any given time to become a donor. This is so nice because there are several people who have never gotten the chance to go to a drive and sign up so I do it wherever they like! I'm planning on hosting two more drives at local schools in the next month, and having a little table at my graduation party. Hey, you never know, someone there could be a lifesaving match for someone!

Bone marrow transplants are often lifesaving and give someone that second chance at life, and isn't that the greatest gift of all? Sign up, swab your cheeks, and GET ON THE LIST!

WE DID IT! It's crazy to believe the two of us are here, I still remember meeting her the first day of high school!
Special thanks to my dad who took us out for celebratory milkshakes after boards 
Less than a month until we GRADUATE! TIME FLIES
and of course, Sonic :) and as an added bonus, both of our slushes cost only $0.42! Happy day!

This project was just another reminder for me as to why medicine is my calling and why I want to be a doctor so badly. It's not about the money, the title, or the cool white coat; it's about gaining compassion, empathy, perspective, building relationships, and doing more for others than yourself. And I am a firm believer in acts for others. I've got a long way to go and though things may change, I know what makes my heart overflow--helping others.


xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment