Last night, I found out a boy that I had graduated high school with took his own life. The tragedy has shattered my community. Pain and grief have consumed many. I am left with sadness for those who were close with him, his family, and him. I hate that there is so much stigma with depression, anxiety, any mental illness, especially in college. The current season of life that I am experiencing with my peers is full of pressure, of decisions, of stress. Research has proved that the amount of stress college-aged adults feel is at an all time high.
I stayed in tonight to study for a European history exam and a stats quiz as a few of my friends went to a worship night. The past few months I've come to realize that it is ok to say no and focus on school stuff when it is necessary, and not feel guilty. Right now, the French Revolution needed my attention. After a solid hour of studying, I did a quick scroll through Instagram. This picture that my favorite blogger posted really grabbed my attention.
Third graders really know what's up.
No big deal... the sun is still going to rise tomorrow
1. I am smart no matter what!
I am smart! I am not my mistakes.
I am smart! I am not my mistakes.
2. No one will stop loving me and no one will be mad no matter how I do on the test.
Unconditional. Grace. Love.
3. I won't even remember this test!
Amen sista. Is this gonna matter in a week, a month, a year, five years? Probably not.
4. When I finish a question or section, let it go!
Let. It. Go! How much crap do we hold onto in our lives that just bogs us down? Too much. The deadweight burden weighs a ton.
Let. It. Go! How much crap do we hold onto in our lives that just bogs us down? Too much. The deadweight burden weighs a ton.
5. Don't try to be perfect!
Ahh, perhaps my favorite. Don't try to be perfect. Because let's be real, you can't be perfect. And there's such freedom in that.
Ahh, perhaps my favorite. Don't try to be perfect. Because let's be real, you can't be perfect. And there's such freedom in that.
6. Take deep breaths!
Breathe in, breathe out. Don't get so far ahead of yourself that you can't handle the present.
Breathe in, breathe out. Don't get so far ahead of yourself that you can't handle the present.
7. I know how to take the test!
You were born for this, baby!
You were born for this, baby!
8. Bring a special something to wear or hold.
I love this sweet strategy. Comfort is so key.
Lainey's test taking strategies are more of living life strategies if you ask me. These eight notes are all things we need to hear more often!
In this life, there is freedom and there is glory. Stress too often gets the best of us. Society makes us crack. But we get to make mistakes and still go on! It's a gift of true splendor. Someone recently told me, "You are not big enough to screw up your own life". Wow. If that's not freedom, I don't know what is.
This is all just temporary. We're just trying to make it through, and we should never have to hide anything. Saying this in my best Jamaican accent, I promise you that every little thing is going to be alright.
xo
Hannah
YES! Thank you for reminding me of these truths Hannah :) This is why youre my friend :)
ReplyDelete