This year, one of my words of the year was BRAVE. Over the course of the semester, I have been going through the process of training, applying, and being placed as a Younglife leader in Boulder Valley. It has been the ultimate leap of faith and has really forced me out of my comfort zone and into bravery.
It’s really difficult to describe what Younglife means to me. I still distinctly remember the first club I attended and the overwhelming peace it brought to me. Faith is a weird thing to describe because it is so different for each person. It was leading up to my senior year when my faith was renewed, strengthened, but also something that I struggled to share. It just wasn’t something my friends talked about and it wasn’t something I ever wanted to impose on anyone else. I knew it was all in His timing. So when I got to college and began to form friendships where faith was so integral, it was like things were coming full circle.
Younglife was still so new to me freshman year, and when the opportunity to go through leadership training arose, I knew I wasn't ready for that. It wasn’t a faith thing at that point, but more so feeling ready to be part of an organization that was still so new to me.
When fall semester started up, at the first club, one of our leaders described a new student group they were working to kick start, Upperclassmen Leadership Team (ULT). I knew right away to sign up. I was ready to take the next step. I had spent some time thinking about if I would want to become a YL leader and knew this would help prepare my heart in the process, but it was still something Then one day in chemistry, my friend Christine told me, “Hannah, if you ever get the chance you should be a YL leader. I just know you would rock it”. When she said this, it was the confirmation I needed to go forth with this journey.
Leadership training began in January. The (very long, strenuous) application was due at the start of February. Interviews were the week after. Initially, I wanted to lead middle school. Then through all the craziness of class, applying, and interviews, I realized I really did not care and would be happy anywhere. I would be placed where it was meant to be. After interviews, we had to wait about 2 weeks for placement night. It was a long, long two weeks and I had no idea where I would be and I was DYING to know.
![]() |
| "For the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few" |
February 26th rolls around. I could hardly fall asleep the night before and I woke up at 7am so blasted excited.
You see, the way placement night works is a pretty big secret. But it’s magical and emotional and just beautiful in every which way.
Each team (middle school, high school, and college) has a need for a certain kind of person. It’s so neat that you are chosen for a specific school who needs you. I was called to serve middle schoolers in Longmont at a small charter school. Blessings upon blessings.
1. Longmont is where my mom was raised, and where my grandparents still live. Family is my everything and the fact that I am leading in a place with so many roots? Tender mercies.
2. I get to lead with an awesome girl, MB. We are the only college leaders at the school and get to really develop Wyldlife (what middle school YL is called) how we desire.
3. I lead in the same area as two of my favorite people- Caroline and Mackenzie! They lead at another middle school in Longmont.
I'm beyond thrilled for this new journey in my life! Hashtag getting lit on the light of the world
xo
Hannah




No comments:
Post a Comment