![]() |
| The ladies (well most of them) of Smith South 3rd |
I'm also finding my academic side again. The last quarter of senior year, I not only had a massive case of senioritis, but a concussion. Not gonna lie, while that concussion was no fun at all, I was exempt from a good chunk of my school work which was ah-mazing. There was a part of me that wanted to keep up with school and do the work, but then the senioritis would kick in again. Right before the end of the year, I was cleared but at that point, my teachers didn't care enough to make me do makeup work. So to be honest, I have really been too much of a student since before spring break.
I thought I would give a run down of my college classes and schedule just for all my family and friends out there that I don't get to talk to very often.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
I have an 8am. It's not my favorite, that I can't deny, but it's not the worst thing in the world. When I was in high school, I had to be up by 6:30 and school started at 7:40; here, I get to sleep until about 7:10 (which really does make the difference!) and I leave my dorm at 7:40 to get to my class about ten minutes early. The class is precalculus. Even though I have already taken Calculus before (a year and half of it), I decided to take precalc again just to get a feel for college math. This was probably the best choice I could have made! So far, it has been ridiculously easy. My professor is great and since I am actually doing things in the class versus just listening to a lecture, I am always very engaged and it gets my brain going for the day.
I generally go back to my dorm after my 8am and grab some breakfast, scroll though Instagram, and just chill. It's a nice little morning routine. I have biology at 10am about 12 minutes away. I haven't taken a bio course in four years and I forgot how interesting the class was! My professor is this little German lady who talks a million miles a minute and always makes us laugh. It's a huge lecture of about 350 people. There's lots of studying to do for this class but I have two great friends in that class so we help each other :)
I have a nice break until 2. I will do homework, study, and grab lunch. Then I go to psychology which is probably my favorite class! It's another huge lecture. What's awesome about psych is there's definitely been a good chunk of things I already knew from anatomy. It's overall just so fascinating. Sometimes, it kind of is a bummer to have an afternoon class but it's not boring so I don't mind one bit! My professor is hilarious and makes everything very easy to understand. She always starts class off with a funny video because studies have shown that adults don't laugh enough every day. This one is my favorite so far.
On Wednesdays, I have bio lab from 12-1:50. It definitely makes the day a lot longer. The TA who teaches it is nice and so far the experiments have been easy so that's good. I don't particularly love it but there's no exams so I can't complain too much.
Tuesday/Thursday:
I have math recitation at 9am. Every other week we have a quiz over what we've been learning in class. The other weeks, we just do a worksheet which is usually fairly simple and turn in written homework. The TA who teaches it grinds my gears though. He's some young, extremely geeky, graduate student who wears a hat like the boys in Newsies and baggy jeans with odd Vans and he is not at all helpful. Plus his name is Sebastian. Who in their right mind names their child Sebastian?!
At 2, I have a writing class in my residence hall. It's literally 20 seconds from my room which is very nice. There's only 13 kids in the class so we're pretty close and the professor is awesome. We've done some writing that hasn't been too painful and by the end of the semester, we will have written 30+ pages of autoethnography. Unfortunately, sometimes my professor just talks a lot and it's very boring and I zone out. This class has made me realize how awesome my high school English teachers were. English, more specifically writing, is a subject that is essential to your education because you use it so frequently. If it weren't for Ms. A, Ms. C, and Ms. J, I would be no where I am today. I have this class on Thursday as well and it's my only class those days which is the best!
☻☻☻
The latest I'm done is 3:15, which is something I can live with. I SO do not want to have classes anytime after that! I usually veg out until about 4 and then I study and do homework until 6:30, when I have dinner. That usually lasts an hour and then I continue to study and prep for classes until about 9:30 or 10. I've been going to bed by 10:30-11 for most of the semester and it's been spectacular. I certainly did not get this much sleep in high school and there is a noticeable difference! I do laundry on Mondays or Tuesdays because that's when the machines are least busy and have been running 5 days a week. I feel like I have way more free time in college than in high school but in that time, I should generally be studying and doing school-related things, and usually I do. Wednesday nights I go clubbing- to Young Life and Swing Dance Club ;) They both are really fun and I've met lots of people through them!
While there are days where I miss the familiarity of high school and the comfort of home, I am loving each new, exciting, different day at college!
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment