Last night, Mackenzie and I got to break away from campus and go to a concert! About two weeks ago, I saw that Katie Herzig, who is probably my favorite artist ever, was going to be in Boulder!!! For a few years now, I have been trying to go to one of her shows because she usually has a few in Colorado. Finally, she would be in a place that was rather convenient and tickets were cheap, so it was one I had to go to! Mackenzie also shares a love for Katie - shocking, I know, what do we both not like? Actually, I like beans and she doesn't so there's that. Anyways, I texted her and we both bought tickets in a matter of minutes. It was quite impulsive of us, but certainly worth it.
Wednesday evening, Mack and I went to Pearl Street and had a very nice (very expensive) dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, because sometimes you just gotta treat yoself. We then made the four minute walk to eTown Hall, the concert venue.
 |
| Crazy concert lighting #rave |
So the concert was not your typical concert. It was actually being recorded for the radio and a podcast so in about a month, anyone can listen to it. It went from 7-9 and there was two hosts who were rather annoying but what else is new. Mackenzie and I were basically the youngest people there (which ALWAYS happens to us) but we got stellar seats and obviously like music that has substance if adults like it too. There was another act there, The Barr Brothers, who were pretty good, but I could have gone without them. They had a harpist though and she was really awesome.
 |
| The Barr Brothers, Katie Herzig, and the two hostesses |
Since it was a recorded show and could only go for so long, Katie sang six songs:
Charlie Chaplin,
Walk Through Walls,
Closest I Get,
Way to the Future,
Frequencies, and
Lost and Found. There were a few more that I wish she would have sang, but that just means I have to go to another concert!
What I loved most was how real she was. She's not widely known, so her music is something special and unique. Her voice in real life is just like that on her albums, which is so important to me. There is nothing more disappointing than going to a concert where the singer doesn't sound remotely like they do on their album. Katie is down to earth and simple, something I deeply admire. Oh, and she went to CU so that's always exciting:)
 |
| Low quality picture, high quality enertainment |
After the show, Mackenzie and I got to MEET her! It was SO exciting, even though we were nervous wrecks (looking back, I'm not sure why we were so nervous). The night was a blast, and I am so happy that I not only got to see in concert, but meet the artist who's music has had a profound impact on my life.
xo
Hannah
A favorite song of hers, which is in Mack's graduation video
No comments:
Post a Comment