Friday morning after my biology lecture, I was waiting to partake in a psychology experiment. We were told to wait in the hallway until an experimenter came to get us, so I took the time to check my email. While going through the usual emails from Bath and Body Works, scholarship sites, Starbucks, and all the other spam that fills my inbox, I stumbled across an email for my senior project mentor, Katie. This is what it read:
Right there, in the hallway of the fourth floor of the Muenzinger Psychology building, I began to cry. I'm sure I looked very strange to the two boys who were also waiting to do the experiment, but I couldn't help it. I was thrilled, ecstatic, joyful, and amazed. This very email is something I have dreamed of.
I don't want to be a doctor so I can flaunt that it was ME that saved a life. I want to save a life because I think that it is the very least I can do. In my life, countless people have helped me, have saved me, have given me opportunities that are invaluable. I want to give everyone the chance to have the same beautiful gift.
Signing people up to be donors was my first step towards this dream of mine, but this, this was a piece of my dream coming true. I am humbled and honored to have been part of the journey of giving someone that hope, that second chance.
I want to tell all the high schoolers complaining about their senior project, this is why it's worth it! You can make a difference! Find your passion and just lose yourself in it! Yes it's not always fun but one day down the road, you will see why it was a great thing to happen to you.
I hope that one day down the line, I get the chance to be a donor myself. Even if that day never comes, I will be so happy that I was able to help others experience the joy of giving, as it really is so much better to give than it is to receive.
xo
Hannah
//For more information on bone marrow donation click here

No comments:
Post a Comment