![]() |
| A beautiful morning back in Boulder // via |
College has really made me realize how much I love home and my family and all that is familiar. I do love it here in Boulder. I love my friends, classes are interesting, and it's a great city. I wish I was the kind of kid that wanted to go back to school. But home is heaven for me. I knew it would be more difficult coming back this time around because we had such a long break but that still didn't make it easy. The first 24-48 hours are rough. It's hard enough to get back into the swing of school and that routine, but then I miss tidbits of home. It's just part of growing up and moving on and what not but it still sucks.
I have gone to all of my new classes for this semester and it's going to be a great, but very busy semester. I'm taking calculus this semester and though I'm trying to be positive about it, I'm not too thrilled to be taking it. Even though I took a year and a half of it in high school, it's a five credit course that has a horrible reputation (for good reason) around campus. Bio seems like it will be more interesting because we do some animal physiology, which turns out to be body systems- my favorite! In lab we will dissect a fetal pig and a sheep eyeball so I'm pretty thrilled about that. Especially because I have dissected both of those before so I guess you could say I'm an expert;) But we also have to do ecology and all that makes me think of is APES. Ick. Music in American Culture seems like it's going to be fun- the professor is really upbeat and completely passionate about what he does. Then there's Disabilities in Contemporary Societies. It's to fulfill a core requirement but I think it will be interesting and I'll gain some perspective. I blocked my schedule this semester so I go for a few hours straight every day and get done earlier than last semester! It's so wonderful. Plus I'm always happy to be back with my girls. How did I get so lucky to have the best floor ever?
The start of 2015 had a slow and steady start. I rang in the new year with some sparkling cider and a big cyst on my ovary (tmi? maybe, oh well, it's really no secret anymore. just keeping it real over here) 10/10 would not recommend the cyst but it happens and it sucks but I got to be at home, resting with my dog, watching Netflix. I started rewatching Grey's Anatomy and OH MY GOODNESS I forgot how much I love the show. I know, I know, it's such a dramatic non-realistic show but good golly it's good. If you haven't watched it than you can't judge! Watching it for the millionth time just makes me feel like I'm family with all the characters;)
Since I spent a good chunk of my time just laying around, my mind would wander, leading me to scroll through my Bloglovin feed and read all my favorite blogs. I realized something while reading most everyone's new year posts: the world really seems to love the new year. To many, it's a new slate, a fresh start, a time to be born again. Everyone wants to transform themselves and be all these things. January 1, I'm going to be the person I dream to be!
I really started to think about life and the new year and resolutions. Well what about the person you are now? I think the new year is a great time to reflect. But I think that there is something about simply being happy with who you are. Where you are is where you're supposed to be. I don't feel like one should have to completely alter to achieve a certain goal.
I'm not against resolutions. I for one want to run more this year and start to go to yoga. But I don't think resolutions are the time to determine how you will become your "perfect" self. To me, the new year is about self-reflection. It's about seeing who you are, why you are that person, how you go to be that person, and finding the beauty and value in it all. Life is a journey and each year is a stepping stone.
So here we go, full speed ahead. I'm looking forward to another full, wonderful year. New adventures, new friends, and new experiences!
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment