"Maybe there is more truth in how you feel than what actually happens."
Today was the day Mackenzie and I have been waiting for since September. Today we initiated our Sisterhood.
It's difficult to find the words that capture how I feel about my friends, and what they mean to me. But Ann Brashares does it so perfectly.
Let's face it, I'm sentimental. That's one of the reasons I blog- to record my favorite things about life, and the memories that come with them. So when Mack and I reread The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and found all the similarities between then book and our lives, it was obvious something needed to be done.
So today's little party came together. We're sorry to report that we were not able to find magic pants, but we did two different things, that I love even more.
Back when we took Kylee out to breakfast for her birthday, we were talking about our busy summers and how we were going to miss each other so much! But then Sierra came up with the most brilliant idea ever- to create Flat Stanleys for us to have of each other! Thank you Sierra for the best idea ever!
"It's more that I'm afraid of time. And not having enough of it. Time to figure out who I'm supposed to be. . . to find my place in the world before I have to leave it. I'm afraid of what I'll miss."
So Mackenzie and I worked to organize a low key get-together where we could make Flat Friends, and initiate our Sisterhood.
We made copies of little people, everyone's faces, and got scrapbook paper to make clothes. We watched the movie while crafting, and it was just a great as I pictured it.
At the end, everyone got one of each person, and we will take pictures with all our friends, wherever we go this summer.
| Giving a little schpeel. Like our coordinating hostess outfits? ;) |
| hard at work |
| Sierra's super cute denim leg warmers;) |
| This just freaks me out. hannah x6 |
| mack x6 |
| kylee x6 |
| jess x6 |
| friends <3 |
“Maybe happiness didn't have to be about the big, sweeping circumstances, about having everything in your life in place. Maybe it was about stringing together a bunch of small pleasures. Wearing slippers and watching the Miss Universe contest. Eating a brownie with vanilla ice cream. Getting to level seven in Dragon Master and knowing there were twenty more levels to go.
Maybe happiness was just a matter of the little upticks- the traffic signal that said "Walk" the second you go there- and downticks- the itch tag at the back of your collar- that happened to every person in the course of the day. Maybe everybody had the same allotted measure of happiness within each day.
Maybe happiness was just a matter of the little upticks- the traffic signal that said "Walk" the second you go there- and downticks- the itch tag at the back of your collar- that happened to every person in the course of the day. Maybe everybody had the same allotted measure of happiness within each day.
Maybe it didn't matter if you were a world-famous heartthrob or a painful geek. Maybe it didn't matter if your friend was possibly dying.
Maybe you just got through it. Maybe that was all you could ask for.”
Maybe you just got through it. Maybe that was all you could ask for.”
And then there was the best part of the party- when we strung together the little things of us, together as one.
Our version of the Pants came in a charm necklace. Mack and I chose a charm for each person, one that well represented them. So when we wore the Necklace, they were always with us.
hannah:teapot because i love tea//mackenzie:four-leaf clover because she's irish//maddison:volleyball because she's a beast volleyball player//sierra:laugh because she never fails to make us laugh//riley:owl because she's a night owl//kylee: joy because she is the master of joy//jess:big ben because she's an anglophiliac
"Time is what keeps things from happening all at once."
So to our Sisterhood, and the Necklace, and each other. Together forever, near or apart.
xo
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment