"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Best Friend's Birthday

On Thursday, February 27, my best friend turned the big 1-8. It's insane because I remember the day she turned 15 so clearly.
15
16 (she wore the same shirt to tennis on her 18th bday as she did on her 16th bday)
17
Even though I'm sure I've told this story several times on my blog now, it's one worth sharing.

There's this quote that I really like- "We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over" but I hate to say it's not true for me and Mack. Forever in my memory is the day Macko and I became BFFs. It was the very first day of high school. A few weeks before school started, everyone was getting calls telling them who they're seminar (basically your homeroom for four years) teacher was. The frenzy of Facebook posts then occurred and I distinctly remembering how I hoped Mackenzie would be in my seminar. That sounds really strange now that I've typed it out, but Mackenz and I sorta knew each other from a writing club at the library we took in elementary school and then from volleyball in middle school. So when I saw on Facebook we were in the same class, I screamed and danced around the house. You also share a locker with someone in your seminar and I just had this gut feeling Mack would be the perfect locker buddy;) So on the first day of school, when we were all waiting outside of the school clumped with kids in our seminar, I remember talking to Mackenzie. We were both VERY awkward, but we both asked each other to be locker buddies so boom! It was perfect. Right from the start, Mackenzie and I had an instant connection; we just get each other. There's really no other ay to describe it. So from freshman year on, I've had my best friend by my side. We have been through it all together, and always come out together. We've seen each other at our best and worst and that's what I love so much about our friendship. Our favorite things have always been the same, whether they be TV shows, music, clothes, shoes, or ideas on things to do.This about sums up our friendship:
We drive to Sonic, order slushes, sit there for far too long talking about anything (music, college, bloggers we follow, clothes and shoes we want, etc) then drive home, listening to a wide range of music, and go to a park to take pictures for our blogs. We then might go wander around Target, run, or play tennis, and then get all nostalgic about life.

So yep, that's me and Mack. For her birthday, we went all out.

Because the two of us absolutely love ABBA, I decided it was only appropriate to celebrate on her birthday, and her birthday eve. So on Wednesday night, I kidnapped her to celebrate her last night as a dancing queen. If you are confused, listen to this song
You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen...

After some spying on her throughout the night via Ainsley, I drove over at about 8:15. I pulled up, called her and asked her to come out (which she was confused about), and I then blasted "Dancing Queen" and made her put on her crown so we could celebrate properly with some drinks. Drinks being lemon berry lime slushes a la Sonic. I definitely think Poodle was surprised. After some great talking, I brought her home. It was actually probably our best conversation night at Sonic and we were both emotional by the end. But hey, that's us! 


What Mackenzie didn't realize that her birthday surprises were just beginning... 

At midnight, I gave Mackenzie a customary birthday call. I then finished homework until about 1:30am... and woke up at 4:30am. It was time for the next surprise! The four of us were planning to go wake up and kidnap Mackenz for birthday breakfast before school, but surprise to us Mackenzie was up when I got there:/ When I pulled up to her house at 5:50am and saw her light on I could not believe she was up! But Ainsley let me in, and luckily Mack was in the bathroom. So I went to hang out in her bedroom to surprise her when she came back in. Then Ainsley remembered she was possibly going to be curling her hair, so I snapchatted her a picture of me in her bed with the caption "Hey, where are you?" The bathroom door then swung open and in came Poodle. Riley came over shortly after, and we ordered her to get dressed and we took her off to Denny's for birthday breakfast. Sierra met us there and we ate and talked for an hour before school.
the perks of getting up early
the birthday queen
I love the sunrise a little more than I love the sunset tbh

Lucky us got out of history early so that's always a birthday bonus. I sadly did not see Mack for the rest of the day until tennis, in which we challenged each other. We always have a lot of fun playing each other because we just make ridiculous sounds and talk the whole time. While we were at tennis, Jessica was decorating Mackenzie's car back at school. Another great surprise for the birthday girl! (I thought I had pictures of this but I guess not) I hope Mackenzie had the best birthday ever because we sure do love her!

Here is 18 of my fave memories with Mackenzie
1. This isn't really a memory but I love all her nicknames. Mackenpoodle (Poodle) takes the cake though
picture by jessica
2. CROSS COUNTRY RUNNING!


3. This little photoshoot freshman year. (insert crying of laughter emoji) Looks like a lesbian engagment shoot

4. Looking oh so cute at Anthro

5. Embarking on teen motherhood


6. Freshman year church retreats 

7. Letting our freak flags fly because wearing Hunters in the rain is something worth having our moms take pictures of us for

8. Half marathon training (more details on that later but it's really happening!)

9. We're the funnest people on the tennis team





10. EUROPE






11. Movie dates 



12. Party planning!

our coordinating outfits make me want to pee my pants laughing 

13. Matching. Always and forever unintentional




14. Late night sledding dates

15. Fashion blogging


16. SONIC








17. The swings pictures series



18.Well, basically all of our memories
since we are hawt

I hope 18 is the best yet Poodle! I love you!

xo
Hannah




1 comment: