I remember my junior year. I watched as the seniors applied to college, got accepted, and made their decisions where to go. It was hard for me to comprehend that that would soon be me. I was still so caught up in high school that the future seemed far off. And then came the summer. I began making lists of where I wanted to go. It was so difficult to choose because everywhere had a little appeal to me. But eventually, I narrowed it down. Then came the application process, which I thought was the most awful thing in the world (little did I know how sucky scholarship applications would be). Once everything was in came the wait for responses. I'll never forget my first response (and acceptance!) - University of Oregon. Others trickled in over the course of two months. I thought I knew what I wanted but I really didn't. Time helped the decision process, along with a lot of talking and thinking and just believing that I would end up in the right place.
I eventually had it narrowed down to about three or four schools. When it came down to it, here's what my deciding factors were:
1. In state- At the start of this big college adventure, I didn't really care if I went out of state or I stayed in. I thought I wanted to go out for a while- I was craving some new adventure. Then I realized, wherever I went, a new journey would await. I'm also very close with my family and it would definitely be difficult to be very far. Four years is not very long, but at the same time it is. These next four years of my life are ones that could bring a lot of change, so it's nice to know my family will be right there. I know that I have so many years ahead of me to go out when I am more ready. Plus, medical school is possibly in my future, so I can go out then! Wherever I go, it will be something new and fun and different!
2. Had my major- Once I chose my major last summer, I fell in love and there was no going back. The problem, I also loved DU... but DU did not have it. I met with an admissions counselor to look at majoring in biology, and compared it to physiology courses. However, it just wasn't the same. Physiology was exactly what I wanted, and I felt like my major was something I just did not want to bend on.
3. Was it right for me?- I really hate following a pack and doing what everyone else does, just because everyone else does it. This probably caused me the most stress. I didn't want people to assume that I was just going to a school that was easy to get into, and that every other kid in Colorado went to. But I had to push away all those thoughts and do was right for me. These next four years of education were all about me, and what was best for my future.
I had made up my mind at the end of February, but I had to let it seep inside of me. A few months ago, I came up with an idea on how I was going to tell my parents and worked to make it perfect. I am so in love with how it turned out, and how much my parents loved it. Such a burden was lifted off my shoulders once I finally decided. There was lots of happy tears shed and I am overall so happy with my decision! College, I'm coming for you!
I eventually had it narrowed down to about three or four schools. When it came down to it, here's what my deciding factors were:
1. In state- At the start of this big college adventure, I didn't really care if I went out of state or I stayed in. I thought I wanted to go out for a while- I was craving some new adventure. Then I realized, wherever I went, a new journey would await. I'm also very close with my family and it would definitely be difficult to be very far. Four years is not very long, but at the same time it is. These next four years of my life are ones that could bring a lot of change, so it's nice to know my family will be right there. I know that I have so many years ahead of me to go out when I am more ready. Plus, medical school is possibly in my future, so I can go out then! Wherever I go, it will be something new and fun and different!
2. Had my major- Once I chose my major last summer, I fell in love and there was no going back. The problem, I also loved DU... but DU did not have it. I met with an admissions counselor to look at majoring in biology, and compared it to physiology courses. However, it just wasn't the same. Physiology was exactly what I wanted, and I felt like my major was something I just did not want to bend on.
3. Was it right for me?- I really hate following a pack and doing what everyone else does, just because everyone else does it. This probably caused me the most stress. I didn't want people to assume that I was just going to a school that was easy to get into, and that every other kid in Colorado went to. But I had to push away all those thoughts and do was right for me. These next four years of education were all about me, and what was best for my future.
I had made up my mind at the end of February, but I had to let it seep inside of me. A few months ago, I came up with an idea on how I was going to tell my parents and worked to make it perfect. I am so in love with how it turned out, and how much my parents loved it. Such a burden was lifted off my shoulders once I finally decided. There was lots of happy tears shed and I am overall so happy with my decision! College, I'm coming for you!
"Just know, that wherever you go, you can always come back home..."
xo
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment