“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird
evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world
will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read
the book. And then there are books which you can't tell people about,
books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”
-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
Over the summer, I compiled a list of books that I just had to read. I always look forward to winter break because I know it's a time where I can just read my heart out, and that is exactly what I intend to do.
The first book I read this break was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
Reading a John Green book for the first time is a little bit like reading your own teenage diary. What he says and how he says it is dead on teenager. This isn't your typical teenage love story. It's about teenagers, falling in love, who both have cancer. However, it's charismatic and honest diction does not make it another Lurlene McDaniel novel. There's depth and wisdom that cannot be found in most other young adult novels, and it's not entirely depressing
Hazel Grace, a 16-year old with terminal cancer meets Augustus at her cancer support group. There, she introduces him to her favorite book, An Imperial Affliction by Peter van Houten. Together, they start on the quest to meet their favorite author and find out what happened to the characters to the open-ended novel. Through this journey, they learn about love, friendship, death, and finding happiness, even when their time is short.
"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."
-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
I would highly recommend this book to anyone, young or old. It's story is beautiful and it make's you think. The thoughts that John Green puts out are compelling and one's I think everyone should know- our days are limited, but despite that, joy can be found, and true and deep friendships can be made, no matter how sad the circumstances.
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment