"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Saturday, March 21, 2015

18 Things I Learned at 18

Today, I am savoring my last day of 18, my best year yet. 2014 as a whole was great, but my 18th year was just wow. When I really think back to a year ago today, and then situate myself back into reality, I get goosebumps. It has been quite the whirlwind, and everything has changed. I think this is the first year where I do feel older, and a little bit different. I am more sure of who I am and what a wonderful feeling that is.

18 has been the most telling year yet. I learned a lot about myself, life, and the value that comes with it. Here's 18 things that have really became apparent to me this past year.

1. Accept and embrace change, arms wide open.
18 was the year of change. I left home and was a new, independent adult. There's no doubt that change is hard, however, being open to new experiences and opportunities will make the transition SO much easier.

2. The homework will always get finished, so go be with your friends. You don't have forever to always be with each other.
I especially learned this in the past few months. As an honors student, I spent way too much time focused on my school work. While that is most certainly still a priority, time is something you don't get back. Make the most it always. So go talk with your friends and laugh until the early hours of the morning. You will get the homework done eventually, I promise.

3. Take care of yourself. Your health is in your hands.
Eat healthy, run, be active. Begin practicing healthy habits NOW.

4. Be there for your friends. Friendship is a two-way street.
Always have your door open, tissues ready, and food at hand. Listen, listen, listen! Being a friend is the absolute best gift you could ever give.

5. Time management is vital.
Yes, hang out with your friends and family. But also don't wait to start a paper hours before it is due. Time management is the key to a life with less stress.

6. Don't be so damn hard on yourself!
You are your biggest critic. Just be proud of yourself. Try hard, make mistakes, live with grace.

7. Call your parents at least three times a week.
Thank them for all they have done for you.

8. It's okay to say no.
You don't have to please everyone, especially if that means compromising your own happiness.

9. You need people, and you also need to be alone.
Have your support system, but also learn to be happy alone. I personally thrive on alone time and need some space every now and then to rejuvenate. 

10. It is very important to treat yoself.
Personally, I enjoy Starbucks. Because I am quite basic.

11. Take pictures- you will cherish them forever.
Pictures are snapshots of moments, but the memories behind them mean so much more. That's what you will remember. The little details, the crazy stories, how you felt.

12. If you don't like something, do something about it.
You are in charge of your life. Stop complaining and do what you can to make the situation better.

13. Time flies, heals, and somehow works everything out.
Just let it happen.

14. DANCE IT OUT!
Move your body in crazy ways and reality sorta disappears. It's awesome.

15. Even when it doesn't seem like it, everything happens for a reason.
So cliche, I know. But hey, it's true, there's no arguing it. Sometimes, you know the reason immediately. Sometimes, you won't know for years. 

16. Instead of dreaming of the person you want to be, just be you.
This isn't always easy. Be the person you are, but also be the person you want to be. They will always mesh together once you get that perfect harmony.

17. Be vulnerable.
My life motto. Cry. Share your fears. Be honest. 

18. Cultivate kindness, find joy, love life.
Happy happy happy!

Thanks to every person who has made this past year the best! I will hold onto each moment, but also look with excitement to the future. Thank you 18, I love you.

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment