"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Saturday, March 7, 2015

It Gets Better

This week has without a doubt been one of the toughest weeks of college yet. On Wednesday, we reached the exact middle point of the semester and I sure was feeling that mid-semester slump. I have been busier than ever and the weather is less than ideal and I am just done. It's crazy how quickly things can change; last week was without a doubt one of the best, happiest weeks EVER, and this week has been one of the worst. That's just life though.

When I have these tough weeks, I just want to retreat and leave. I keep dreaming of somewhere warm, where the air smells sweet, and the only responsibility I have is to put on sunscreen. I have watched this video so many times, wishing with every bone in my body I was in San Diego with my family. I have set my phone background to a picture of the Napali Coast in Hawaii, where I will blissfully be this summer for some much needed relaxation.

A lot will happen between then and now, and I'm sure there will be a handful of bad days, but many more good days. This week was a bummer, but last night was good. I ate a long dinner with my friends and hung out with Mack for the first time in what feels like a long time. Today already has shown so much promise. I slept in, took a super hot shower (my favorite thing in the world), had the best omelette, and now am hunkered down in the library with a large cappucino and some good music as I study for my Monday midterms. Tonight is the Smith Spring Formal and I cannot wait to get dressed up with my best friends and dance it out.

Even through all this muck, good things do happen. Every day gets better. I often think back to where I was a year ago and can hardly believe how far things have come. There was a lot of pressure, but life was also chock-full of bittersweet "lasts" and beautiful memories. I think about my senior project and how stressed I was about it. But now a year later, I relish that project. Two bone marrow donors were matched from one of my drives and it is amazing to see how dedication and work pays off. Prom was approaching and as stressful as that was, it was a favorite night of high school. The choir ski trip was a few weeks away, and I was about to have the best surprise party ever. It was a flash. In all that time, there were several times I just was done. I got upset by the smallest things but I only remember the good things. So I know this week is one that will fade from my memory quickly. Instead I will remember the happier weeks, and the great conversations with friends and precious memories.

So the slumps will happen. But there's always promise.

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment