Hello and happiest Saturday to all of you!
I feel like I talk a lot about cross country on the bloggity blog nowadays. But my life is basically school, cross country, and homework, and who really wants to hear about school and homework?
I love/hate cross country. I love/hate the challenge, I love/hate the pain. I know I love my friends, and I know hate the heat.
Running is simply the best. It's tough and I am NOT a natural born runner. I'm slow. I'm not very good. But heck, I'm getting myself into shape and as we always say when we're complaining and want to give up, we're lapping everyone on the couch.
Last week at lunch, Hannah, Kylee and I were talking about running and came up with what I think is a great analogy.
Running is like being pregnant.
(Ok well none of us really know what being pregnant is like but stick with me here)
At the beginning, you feel sick. You're tired. You're constantly hungry. You swell up. You're hot. It hurts. It seems to go on forever. The end can't come soon enough. During the race (aka labor), you never want to do it again. But then it's over. You're relieved. You have something to be so happy about. You feel sore, but accomplished. And you would do it all over again.
That really sums it all up. I wake up in the middle of the night starving. I ice like it's my job, and drink water by the gallon. I get my sister to rub my legs super hard, and it hurts so good. I constantly want to get better.
Today was our first 'race'/scrimmage. The Grizzly 5000! I woke up so many times in the middle of the night, I kept thinking I overslept and my mom forgot and I missed the race! But then I woke up at 6:15 and was ready. I ate half of a peanut butter sandwich, a glass of milk, and drank a bottle of water. I was very anxious for it all the begin! When I got to the school, I met up with Mackenzie and we stretched, ate some 'sport' jelly beans, went to the bathroom twice, and tried to get in the right mental state. I wanted to start so badly and get it done with!!
At 9:10, we lined up, and Mack, Amanda, and I made our goals-
1. No walking
2. No talking
3. No stopping
During the week, I don't know the exact mileage we run, so I wasn't really sure how fast I could run 3.1 miles. My goal for the day was to finish by 36 minutes (remember, I'm SLOW). I beat my goal with a 32:30 (I think, I didn't stop my watch for a few seconds after I finished), and I am honestly pretty proud of that time! I'm a fairly new runner, and now I just want to get better!! Oh yeah, and I beat Riley's dad;)
Afterwards, my body was just going. I had so much adrenaline! I wasn't actually very hungry, and I felt really good. I got new shoes on Thursday and good heavens, the difference is amazing! My shins and knees didn't hurt at all during the race! Up until about 3pm, my body didn't hurt at all!
...and then it started hurting all over, all at once. I popped some Aleve, and put in a movie for the little girl I was babysitting. I've had a ton of water and protein, and of course, am icing now.
Our next race is next Saturday and I am pumped! I'm sure I'll be anxious, but for now, I can't wait for the rush again:)
xo
Hannah
| ice ice baby |
| every. single. night. |
At 9:10, we lined up, and Mack, Amanda, and I made our goals-
1. No walking
2. No talking
3. No stopping
During the week, I don't know the exact mileage we run, so I wasn't really sure how fast I could run 3.1 miles. My goal for the day was to finish by 36 minutes (remember, I'm SLOW). I beat my goal with a 32:30 (I think, I didn't stop my watch for a few seconds after I finished), and I am honestly pretty proud of that time! I'm a fairly new runner, and now I just want to get better!! Oh yeah, and I beat Riley's dad;)
| h.a.m. |
| we <3 sierra the varsity queen! |
| beauty. don't you love my hair? |
| motha. i feel like a giant compared to her. |
...and then it started hurting all over, all at once. I popped some Aleve, and put in a movie for the little girl I was babysitting. I've had a ton of water and protein, and of course, am icing now.
Our next race is next Saturday and I am pumped! I'm sure I'll be anxious, but for now, I can't wait for the rush again:)
xo
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment