"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Spectacular Now -- A Book Review

Last month, Riley and I had a talk about book recommendations. She bought a ton and told me a few of the titles. She asked if I had ever read/heard of The Spectacular Now. I looked up the trailer and was hooked!

I have watched this trailer far too many times. #sorrynotsorry

Well anyways, I fell in love so I had to read the book. And I did in less than 12 hours. It was that good.

So here's my little review :)


Sutter Keely is the master of the party. He's the guy that your parents don't want you to hang out with, but he has the charisma to charm any girl. However, his reign only lasts through high school, as reality is a bit more harsh. He likes his 7Up spiked with whiskey and a girl with curves. But when Sutter wakes up to Aimee Finecky in someone else's front yard, his life changes. She slowly becomes the new girl in his life, as he helps her become less gentle, more aggressive, and teaches her to stand up for what she wants. As their relationship blossoms, Sutter realizes more about himself and more about the world around him. This wonderful coming-of-age story is authentic, and leaves readers enthralled with Sutter's power but perhaps upset with some decisions.

Overall, I really, really, really enjoyed the book! I highly recommend it, and I cannot wait to find a theater playing the darn movie close to me!!! Throughout the novel, you can't help but fall in love with Sutter and his genuine emotions for Aimee. I love to see how they both change. These sort of books always open my eyes up to a different "breed" of high schoolers. There's never books that reflect me and my friends... they would sound something like "They studied during the week and would hang out on the weekends getting slurpees and going to the movies or playing water pong. One worked at the movie theater, others babysat. They got good grades and had a great time with each other" The characters in these books live a very different life than me, so it's always refreshing to see a new perspective. The only reason this book didn't get five stars is because of how disappointed I was with the ending. It was good, but not how I would have ended it. Despite this, the book is a great YA novel to inspire the youth in you and to remind you that live in the spectacular now.

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment