"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Saturday, August 31, 2013

"This, right here, is beautiful"


I finally saw it. The Spectacular Now. Where to begin? I really loved the movie, it was spectacular;)

I went in with pretty high expectations, I'm not going to lie. Overall though, I was pleased. Here's what I loved most about it... I could relate! Isn't that what always lures us in? When you see that you're not the only one in the world who is 17 and has never had an ex-boyfriend? When you see you're not the only one who can be extremely awkward? We find peace in know we are not alone. It gives us a piece of hope to hang on to.

I'm not saying I'm like Aimee Finecky, by all means. We have a very different home life, but socially, I see us as equals. I can not ever imagine falling for a boy like Sutter Keely, but love is love. And when a boy loves you like Sutter loves Aimee, it's easy not to fall in head over heels.

This movie, like the book, was pretty straightforward, with not a lot of plot twists. But, there is so much more to the movie than the surface level. Each character, and situation, comes with a much deeper meaning. The movie is what being a teenager is about, what high school is about.

What I know some people didn't like was the ending to this movie. It was different than the book, and I personally liked it more. But it's ambiguous. What I realize though, is the ending of the book/movie is not bad, it's just not how I wanted it to end. But isn't that the same with life? It's not always what we want, but sometimes what we get.

I loved the acting, Shailene Woodley is one of my favorites, ever since Secret Life. And Miles Teller is pretty irrestiable, he stole my heart in Footloose. I do wish that some details of the book would have been in the movies. There were some that really characterized Aimee and Sutter, and would have made the movie that much better.

I highly recommend seeing it. I just love coming of age stories. It reminded me to slow down, take it in, and cherish these moments. The best part of life is not in the past or future, but right now.

xo
Hannah

//book review here//

No comments:

Post a Comment