"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."
About
Sunday, June 22, 2014
Triple Decker Smoothie
Over here, I am a big smoothie drinker. Usually in the morning, in addition to my cup of coffee, I have a big green smoothie. I pack it full with spinach and/or kale, frozen fruit, some chia seeds, and a scoop of protein powder. My base varies, but it's usually some OJ and milk. For an extra creamy (and protein packed) smoothie, I use some Greek yogurt as a base. The best part of smoothies is you can add in just about everything. Right now, I've been loving adding coconut milk into mine because duh, coconut. In the summer, smoothies are the perfect treat.
A fun thing I've been experimenting with lately is layered smoothies. Considering how indecisive I can be, this is perfect so I can have more than one kind of smoothie. Today I bring to you this wonderful summer treat- the triple decker!
For my first green layer, I used spinach, blueberries, pineapple, and some almond milk. To get a super green color, it's best to use a dark leafy green such as spinach, kale, or swiss chard. I like to add a little avocado now and then for the healthy fats. Blend that right up and pour into a glass of your choice.
For the second red layer, I used cherries, strawberries, and almond milk. This was such a yummy creamy layer! Once blended, pour on top of bottom layer. As you can see from my picture, this layer did not sit right on top of the green and it sort of oozed into the green layer. Whoops!
For the third yellow layer, I blended banana, peaches, mango, and a splash of OJ. Blend, pour on top of middle layer and BAM! You have a triple decker layer smoothie!
I topped my treat off with a little almond butter and chia seeds. I had some young coconut to put on top but I ate it before I could put it on the smoothie. I just love coconut so much! When it comes to layering smoothies, I've noticed that the thicker the smoothie, the less likely it is to all blend together when you add each layer. To make a thick smoothie, use less liquid or add more ice!
Layering smoothies into popsicle molds is a great way to create tri-colored, delicious popsicles! I did this with this batch and I can't wait to see how they turned out! I try not to have too many smoothies in a week (like one a day, two maybe one day a week) because fruit does have quite a bit of sugar in it. While it is 'healthier' sugar and your body breaks it down faster, it's still best in my opinion to not have too much of it :) There's still nothing better than a smoothie on a warm summer day! Have fun layering!
xo
Hannah
Labels:
Recipes,
Summer 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment