"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We Remember

I was 5 years old. It was an early Tuesday morning, my last day of summer break before my first day of kindergarten and I was up early to watch Madeline while my mom ran on the treadmill. I had my two Madeline dolls out, Madeline and Nicole, so we could watch the show and play during the commercials. My dad came running down the stairs, shouting at my mom to turn on the news. I was so upset that she turned off Madeline, but remember both of my parents repeating "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" My mom began to cry as I sat there, still upset Madeline was turned off. All that I saw on the TV was a repeated scene of an airplane, crashing into a big building. The phone rang, and my grandma was sobbing, asking if my dad was on the plane. My parents sat there in silence, glued to the TV. I couldn't figure out what exactly was going on, but it was clearly not good. I remember sitting there, and as the South Tower first collapsed at 7:59am, my mom just covered her mouth. The day was quiet and morose.

The next day was my first day of kindergarten. It was also the grand opening of the elementary school I would attend. The principal wore an Uncle Sam costume, showing his national pride and trying to bring enthusiasm to the somber feeling in the air. I was so excited to start school, but felt the sadness. 

As I got older, I read stories about people who lost loved ones in the attack, stories of those who barely escaped, saw pictures and watched videos of that horrible day in the US. I remember this song being played over and over on the radio, and memorizing every word.

The day will never be forgotten. Thank you to the men and women who sacrificed their lives for our country, you are true heros.

xo
Hannah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment