"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Book Talk : Gone Girl

Every Thursday here on the blog, I've decided to do a book talk/ book review of sorts. I've got a list of books I am so excited to write about! Summer is the best time to just sit and consume books, so this may be something that is primarily for the summer (sort of late to jump on this, I know) but one of my goals is to always have a free reading book going during school. I always forget how much I love to just sit and read when we are in school! One of the best bloggers out there, Bon, hosts a monthly book club over at her blog and I like how she formats some of them so I figured I would do something similar.

I also am part of a book club with Mack, Isabel, and Ainsley (we like to call it The Finer Things Club because of how classy things get when we're together). The first book we read was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I thought it would be the perfect book to kick off Book Talks with Han (creative name, I know). Heads up, there's a few spoilers so don't say I didn't warn you.



Han's Review
Wow I loved this book. Typically, I read some pretty basic realistic fiction. A little romance, a little family drama, stuff like that. This was an absolute thriller and I was instantly hooked. You are asking questions the whole time and it just gets more and more twisted! I became emotionally invested in this book and really couldn't stop thinking about it. The day I got it, I read outside in my hammock for hours without stopping. Eventually, it began to rain on me and I put the book down for the night. All night long, it was all I thought about. The next day, I finished it in just a few hours. It just kept getting juicier and juicier! However, I loathed the ending. So upset. I was expecting something different and was truly upset.

Writing Style
At first, it is slightly confusing because Flynn goes back and forth between the present and the past. Then, there is a complete shift in character's voice and you are confused and shocked and mad! The prose was good, but not outstanding. However I feel like that is common in books like this; it's more about turning the page and continuing onto the plot, not focusing on the beauty of the words.

This book is not for those who hate profanity because it is extremely prevalent in this book. I guess in this sort of situation, a lot of cussing would occur.

Flynn did an outstanding job with the plot and climax. Right when you thought you were figuring it all out, BAM! It was different, unexpected, and everything changed. This woman is a genius author because she really had to do a lot of thinking with this book. She had me convinced for the first half of the book that the murder was done by one person, and with one sentence, I was convinced it was someone else. She had me turning my back on characters. Then when the treasure hunt clues are described, I was thinking like I was Nick. She got in Amy's head and got every little detail lined up!

The Characters
Well these people suck. Right when you think you love one character, the truth about them and it ain't pretty. They all just infuriated me!!! I wanted to yell at them and their choices and how they treated each other! These people were probably the most dysfunctional group I have ever heard of. The entire time I just kept wondering why they ever get married. The two main characters, Nick and Amy, were the worst couple in the world. Talk about a bomb. But despite my hatred for the characters, I still loved the book. That doesn't happen too often. I guess their insanity was intriguing.

A movie?!
I'm really intrigued by the book becoming a movie. It will surely be good because the book was, but I feel like it might be sort of confusing and there are definitely parts they will have to change. So far, the trailer looks good and I anxiously await it's release in October!

Book Club Questions
1. Do you believe that Nick and Amy ever really loved each other?
2. In this book, who was the victim? Was there one?
3. How did the "Amazing Amy" books impact Amy's life, as a child and an adult.
4. In Amy and Nick's marriage, was one of them more at fault than the other?
5. How was this book different than other suspense books?


In the end, I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars. Definitely worth your time! Afterwards, do tell me about your thoughts!

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment