I remember where I was when Elizabeth Smart was found. I was in Ms. Lowe's first grade class. She was reading a book to us as we sat before her, all the girls lined up, braiding the hair of the girl in front of them. My mom was coming to pick me up early for an appointment and she came into the classroom, interrupting the reading, saying with such relief, "They found her. They found Elizabeth!". Then my teacher and mom talked for a little bit about the news and then I left with my mom as she held my hand tightly.
Last October when Elizabeth's memoir came out, I was instantly intrigued and wanted to read it. I finally got around to it and was so impressed. Elizabeth wrote with such eloquence and demonstrated such grace and perseverance. Let me tell you, most people (including myself) would not be able to come out of such a traumatic incident with the strength and perspective that Elizabeth had. So let's getting talking.
Han's Review
I don't want to say I enjoyed this book because that seems like the wrong thing to say about such an awful topic, but I did think it was a good book. I really love memoirs and this was no exception. Sometimes when I read books or watch movies on kidnappings, I'm extremely paranoid and have this feeling that it will happen to me. However, with this book, Elizabeth managed to be matter-of-fact without being too blunt. She was able to experience a horrifying thing and positively move on. My mother had no idea why I would want to read about such a disturbing thing, but Elizabeth never made it out to be the end of the world. While it was not the best, she looks back on it with a positive mindset.
The Writing
While this book may not be the most well-written book, it was still good. While there weren't major cliffhangers, but I still found myself turning the page quickly. As a young woman myself, I put myself in the shoes of Elizabeth. Because I grew up in a safe, suburban bubble, I haven't experienced several terrifying situations, but have heard of them frequently. Most of the time, they scare the living daylights out of me because I live in such a safe place. Curiosity gets the best of me because I honestly cannot imagine being taken from my own room.
Faith
Elizabeth is never graphic when describing what happened with her. I associate this with her strong Mormon faith. While not LDS myself, I know a lot about the religion and their beliefs. She is not blunt, but rather discreet enough to get the point across. This makes the book a little easier to read. After reading this book, I read Jaycee Dugard's memoir. While the two girls' kidnappings differed in length, they were still young when they occurred and the abuse was extreme. But Jaycee wrote with more aggression and much more graphic description. It was difficult to read. Elizabeth's faith emphasizes purity so what occurred to her was most against her beliefs. Her faith alone is what helped her live.
The Aftermath
What most impressed me was Elizabeth's perspective about the entire event. Where most people would have hate for their abductors, Elizabeth never once said she hated them. Instead, she remarked that much worse could have happened. I don't think most 15-year olds are able to look at such an awful situation with that light! She dealt with a lot of negative reactions because she 'never fought back'. But what Elizabeth did was save her family, and herself. She has all of my respect.
Book Club Questions
(adapted from here)
1. Elizabeth speaks of near-rescues, in particular, one in the library when a detective questioned Mitchell. Why didn't she cry out?
2. Elizabeth's faith is her primary reason for living. What else motivates her?
3. Elizabeth's abductor, Brian David Mitchell, already had a bad history. His own mother had a restraining order against him. Are people like him evil? Is mental illness an excuse for what he did?
4. What about Mitchell's partner, Wanda Ileen Barzee? She herself is a mother; one wonders what would prompt her to maltreat a child like Elizabeth. Brazee receieved a sentence of 15 years, seven of which the judge said she had already served. How do you feel about that?
5. If you were in Elizabeth's shoes, what would you have done? What would have kept you going?
I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. A compelling read that proves the triumphs faith can bring.
xo
Hannah
The Aftermath
What most impressed me was Elizabeth's perspective about the entire event. Where most people would have hate for their abductors, Elizabeth never once said she hated them. Instead, she remarked that much worse could have happened. I don't think most 15-year olds are able to look at such an awful situation with that light! She dealt with a lot of negative reactions because she 'never fought back'. But what Elizabeth did was save her family, and herself. She has all of my respect.
Book Club Questions
(adapted from here)
1. Elizabeth speaks of near-rescues, in particular, one in the library when a detective questioned Mitchell. Why didn't she cry out?
2. Elizabeth's faith is her primary reason for living. What else motivates her?
3. Elizabeth's abductor, Brian David Mitchell, already had a bad history. His own mother had a restraining order against him. Are people like him evil? Is mental illness an excuse for what he did?
4. What about Mitchell's partner, Wanda Ileen Barzee? She herself is a mother; one wonders what would prompt her to maltreat a child like Elizabeth. Brazee receieved a sentence of 15 years, seven of which the judge said she had already served. How do you feel about that?
5. If you were in Elizabeth's shoes, what would you have done? What would have kept you going?
I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. A compelling read that proves the triumphs faith can bring.
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment