"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

For the Love Of Classical

If there is one thing about me that is pretty different than the sterotypical 16-year old girl it's the fact that I love classical music. LOVE it. Now recognize, I do enjoy other music too, but classical music brings me back to center. I enjoy turning on the classical station sometimes on my way to school and turn it up REAL loud and completely be taken away with the music, the power, the peace, the perfection.  Today in choir, our teacher showed us this video. Watch it. Benjamin Zander is quite a character! But what he has to say is oh so true and beautiful.

Benjamin Zander: The transformative power of classical music 

I love the piece that he plays. 
Frédéric Chopin - Prelude in E-Minor (op.28 no. 4) 

We are basically told nowadays not to like classical music because it is 'boring'. I disagree so so much. It is not music merely for entertainment like so much of the junk nowadays, but solely emotion. There is a story behind every song that conveys a message so much stronger than 'being at a payphone trying to call home but not having enough money because it was all spent on some person'. That is a catchy song, don't get me wrong, but just not to the same caliber as a piece by Chopin or Mozart. If classical music is boring to you, you're probably a boring listener;)  Just find a composer you love (my faves are Chopin and Bach) and really think about what you are listening to and what it is trying to tell you.:)

xo
Hannah 

PS- Guess what it is supposed to do tonight... SNOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment