"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Les Misérables


No words. No words at all can do justice for how phenomenal this movie is. 

I fell in love with this musical back in 7th grade choir, when we sang a medley for one of our concerts (and you know what? I didn't even get to sing at the concert because I was sick in the hospital with a dang virus!) I remember everyday looking forward to choir, as we went through the entire musical, a song a day, watching/listening to it from the 25th anniversary concert. We went and saw the live musical by a local production company, and man alive, was that fantastic. Then, for my 16th birthday present, my grandparents took me to see it as it came to Denver at the Buell Theater. I never wanted it to end. Nothing can really compare to that spectacular day.
Telling me about my exciting gift, I was only a little excited;)
 
The entire story is just so compelling.  Hugh Jackman was an OUTSTANDING Jean Valjean, and Russell Crowe? That man can sing! I was so impressed with each and every person in that movie. I love them all. Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were perfect for their parts and were hilarious! "Master of the House" was fabulous! I definitely wish I could sing as high as Amanda Seyfried. The music is so deep and riveting, this film captured every ounce of feeling. I love so so much that they were singing live, the emotion truly came through and made the acting 498731889327938756 times better. Oh and Anne Hathaway (one of my fave actresses!) getting her hair cut for real during the scene? Talk about guts and dedication! Gosh, it was all just perfect. I know that movie will be going home with awards.

My favorite part was either "I Dreamed a Dream" (Anne Hathaway better get an award for that) or the very end "Do You Hear the People Sing". So much emotion. That beautiful barricade. Good lord, the power of the many voices, the triumph. 

Because the entire story takes place post-French Revolution/Napoleon, watching the movie this time around really brought things to full circle because we just learned about the French Rev in AP Euro (it was actually extra credit to see the movie, yeah baby!) Jean Valjean is locked up for stealing a loaf of bread, to feed his sister's son. For all of you who don't know a lot about the French Revolution, basically, a main reason there was war was because of bread, I kid you not. It's because the prices were so high because of drought and taxes and blah blah blah, I'm sure none of you are too interested in hearing the 15 minute summary I told my mother. I would make Mrs. J proud though;)


So, please be a smart person. Go see Les Mis. You will love it. I know I do. I've already seem it twice. :)
Oh and this hottie is in it. Oh Marius... <3



xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment