"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Monday, May 5, 2014

The Month of the Figurative Friday

Last year, I realized that May is just a whole month of a Figurative Friday. Basically, everyday is like Friday in the sense that we are all done and just looking forward to the weekend (aka summer).

Students are done, as well as teachers. I don't actually remember the last time that my English teacher made us stay for the whole class period. She literally has nothing else for us to do. We get out early everyday, and not just ten minutes early- like an hour early. But hey, you don't hear any of us complaining! Because I took my math final last Friday and we are done after the AP exam on Wednesday, we don't really need to go to that class anymore.

Ask anyone of my friends and we'll all say the same thing- we don't really do homework anymore. In most of my classes, I have a high enough grade where I could do nothing and still finish with an A. That works perfectly for me because man do I lack motivation. Don't get me wrong- there is definitely stuff to be done, but it just does not feel very important. In English the other day, we had to illustrate a few lines from a poem that focused a lot on imagery. Usually, Kylee and I would make the project a much bigger deal than it really was and spend far too much time on a stupid picture. But when we really stopped and thought about it, we knew that we just had to do a small little picture that met the requirements, not some abstract picture that could earn a place in the Louvre. Because when it came down to everything, we would still graduate, no matter how bad the picture was.

I evaluate everything with the question, "Well if I don't do it, will I still graduate?" And the answer is usually yes:) I also associate the Figurative Friday with senioritis so there's that too. I laugh because last year I thought I had junioritis. Oh how I was wrong. That was absolutely nothing to now. I was talking to a neighbor on Saturday and she asked me how I was feeling about the end of this journey. When I told her I just felt done, she pointed out that I deserved to feel that way. I worked dang hard these past four years. I've always worried that my being done would carry over into high school, and for the most part, I really don't think it will. College is going to be something new and different with new people, new classes, and a whole new place, so there will be that level of sheer excitement. Plus, I'll be getting to take classes on things that I am absolutely passionate about so I think that will really just start the fire inside of me.

This is part of why I love May. There's that common bond between all students and teachers on being burned out and overworked. So right now, I'll embrace the Figurative Friday. It is only one month, right?

Not completely relevant, but sort of. Instead of doing school like things, all of us sisters hang out and lay in my bed. It's fun stuff


xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment