![]() |
| It has been the best four years, ThunderRidge! |
All of my life, it seemed like I was in a race. I sat back and thought about it- thirteen years of education, each year like a mile, long but not as long as you think. Thirteen miles, a half marathon. Each mile got a little harder but it was one mile closer to the finish line. Some years were easy, a full mile downhill, while others pushed me, straight uphill. About half way through, every runner has a decision to make- how do they want to finish? They could start to walk and lose their momentum, or push through to finish strong. Each mile towards the end got a little harder - I faced new challenges and obstacles but had to remember how close I was to the end. Throughout the race, I sometimes felt like just another runner in the crowd. I was surrounded by other people who wanted to finish, who wanted to do the best. Some tried to trip others during the race. But those people wouldn’t slow me down... people were cheering me on from the sidelines the entire time, ringing their cowbells and screaming my name. Before I knew it, I had four miles left. They weren't the easiest miles but they were some of the most deciding miles. I finally reached the last mile, which proved to be the hardest. Although the end was near, I felt tired and sometimes, less motivated. I never knew exactly what the finish line would hold for me, but I knew that it would be what I worked for, so I kept running, strong in every stride. As the finish line got closer, I realized that in each mile, each year of education, all that I had learned pushed me to my next mile, as I desired to learn more.
And here I am today, crossing the finish line. It’s a bittersweet feeling. Waiting is not just a diploma, but endless opportunity. We have finished the race, and while it might not have been easy, we are fortunate with what now awaits us. You see, opportunity has a different definition for everyone. For some, it means going to college, whether that be a small local school, or an Ivy League miles away. For others, it means starting a career and working. Others will go and travel, and see what else there is in the world outside of our little town. Regardless of what path we decide to venture, we will learn more, and continue the journey as a lifelong learners. However, I have learned that what comes next for us all is not a race. It turns out the race that I thought was life was really a race with myself, to see how hard I could push myself, to see the grand results that would come from hard work and dedication.
Education is something that never ends and takes commitment. Our limits will be tested, our wills challenged. But we will all thrive. We have been given everything we need to go out and succeed, we armed for the future. We will find what we love the most, where our passion exists. Now we must go do. We must take our talents, our skills, what makes us unique, and make our mark. How are you going to leave your thumbprint? When I was younger and would go to play somewhere, my mother always reminded me to leave the place better than I found it. The entire world is now our playground- how do you plan to make it better than you found it? Whatever it might be, remember this, I beg: whatever you do is valuable. It is not a competition with those around you. Don't push anyone down to achieve what you desire. The only thing you are competing with is your fears-- don't let them win. As my friend would say, be bold and tenacious. Shamelessly show the world who you are.
xo
Hannah
GRADUATION COUNTDOWN: 0 DAYS
HAPPY GRADUATION DAY!

No comments:
Post a Comment