Since I just spent the last two hours reading this book, I might as well give you all a review on it. :)
![]() |
| Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier |
★★★☆☆
This book was not an easy one for me to read. It took forever to really start enjoying it and want to keep reading. The beginning is rather confusing in my opinion, but darkness looms in this 1938 novel. It encomasses romance, suspense, and character development rather nicely. Taking place in old England, probably sometime in the late 1800s/early 1900s, it is based upon the new marriage between a young woman and a widower, Mr. de Winter and how his late wife, Rebecca, seems to lurk their life. The marriage between the two seems unusual and not one of love and passion, like most of newlyweds. Du Maurier does an excellent job of developing the characters, especially the late Rebecca de Winter and sly Mrs. Danvers. I was not too surprised with the book and found it rather predictable, but it is a classic. Little pieces connect throughout the book, which I love. The book was rather good once things started to come to surface which was unfortunately around 18 chapters in. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good tale of suspense with a dash of romance. :)I am looking forward to our Thanksgiving 'break' so I can hopefully enjoy a good book. I love to escape from reality and just read! But with two AP Euro chapters to read, who knows if that will actually happen...
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment