"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Friday, July 20, 2012

A Reminder

"Jesus wept." John 11:35

Today, my mom woke me up early to have me come downstairs and watch the news with her. The phone rang before I could get up so she told me there was a shooting, just to go to the news website. I was utterly shocked to see everything. At a midnight showing of the highly anticipated final Batman movie, some disturbed man just came into the theater and started shooting. Seventy-one people were shot, fifty-eight injured, and twelve died, a mass murder. A horrible, horrible thing. I was only a year-old when Columbine occurred and today, we still hear about how horrible it was. Even though I can put myself in the shoes of a student there, or even any other person in Colorado, it's still hard to really understand. It gives me goosebumps and tears in my eyes to think about. Today, as I sat on the couch listening to the news and reading articles on the Internet, I felt the emotion. As people recounted what they had seen and heard, it shook me. A girl said amidst the chaos, she looked at her friend sitting next to her and saw her unconsciousness and bleeding. Then I saw me and my friends. All the times we go to the movies, at least once a month. We sit there, excited, passing around candy, laughing, absorbed in ourselves and the movie. This was how so many people were in that theater were. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about, leisurely enjoying a movie to frantically trying to run for your life. 

But you know what? Sometimes, these horrible, traumatizing events are what we need. God is merciful. He does not cause evil, but He comforts us in times of evil. 
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
 {1 Peter 5:7}.
This article says it best. "God is always good. Man isn't. Don't get the two confused." In these dire times, He is with us, wrapping His arms around us.
And He shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain, for the old order of things has passed away. {Revelation 21:4} 
My heart hurts for those families affected by this and my prayers go out to them all. Life can end in a blink. We're not entitled to it and tomorrow is not a promise. "Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many." Say a prayer for the victims, but pray and be thankful for all you already have. 
So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
{Isiah 41:10} 

Live with grace.
xo
Hannah
  
ps- an all-time favorite quote.
"Doesn't matter how tough we are, trauma always leaves a scar. It follows us home, it changes our lives, trauma messes everybody up, but maybe that's the point. All the pain and the fear and the crap. Maybe going through all of that is what keeps us moving forward. It's what pushes us. Maybe we have to get a little messed up, before we can step up."

No comments:

Post a Comment