"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Monday, June 25, 2012

Simply Inspired

{This post is a bit of deeper continuation of yesterday's :)}
I cannot rave enough about Stephanie Nielson. I just love her, her blog, her family, her book, her nickname;) 
 {Before & After}
{via}
Today, if you were to ask me who my inspiration is (besides my mother and Dr. Nina Starr Braunwald aka the first woman cardiac surgeon), I'll gladly say Stephanie Nielson (aka nie or nienie). She was in a horrible accident and was scarred for life, inside and outside. Prior, she lived a fairy tale life, married young and with children soon after, with her close family near, and a positive attitude and outlook of life written on a blog that thousands loved to read. One simple Sunday afternoon, that changed forever. In a small private plane with her husband and family friend, they had enjoyed a leisurely day at Mr. Nielson's family ranch, the plane malfunctioned and crashed. The friend was killed, Mr. Nielson burned on 30% of his body, and nie, over 80%. She was in a coma for months and woke up in a body that was foreign, scarred, and not the body she knew. Her children would not look at her. She had to move states without ever saying a real goodbye. She suffered trauma...

but continues to live life, because it's what we do. We're learning constantly how to fight off death, but how often do we have to learn to keep on living? That is what nienie makes me stop and think about, it's a push to keep going when life seems wretched and unfair, and to appreciate the life I have and the joy comes from it... for each day we wake up is a joyous gift. So I thank you nie, from the bottom of my heart.

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment