"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thank You Dr. Rudolph Nissen

Two months ago today, my life was changed forever- but for the better! All of my life, I've had GERD- gastroesophageal reflux disease aka reflux. When I was a baby, my parents called me 'Bulimic Baby' because I would literally throw up everything I ate. After a certain point, I started to not throw up but I still refluxed (the food would travel back up my esophagus). I grew immune to the nauseous feeling, however in December of 2010, I started to actually throw up again. At first, I just took more Tums, Pepcid, and Rolaids, then transitioned to an over the counter medication (Zantac) but that did not work. My pediatrician agreed that it was GERD and advised my to try taking Prevacid and give it some time. In September of 2011, I was referred to a pediactric gastroenterologist, Dr. Stathos, who is seriously the world's best doctor. He's awesome. He started me up on Nexium, but ordered a Barium swallow as well as a CT and x-ray of my digestive tract, all of which . He then ordered an endoscopy with biopsy and a 48 hour Bravo pH study. The endoscopy results showed that yes, I had reflux and my esophagus was damaged from the constant acid in it. I was in beginning stages of Barrett's esophagus. If not treated, the esophageal cells mutate and can form cancerous cells- that's never good! The pH study showed that I reflux 96% of the day, so even if I wasn't throwing up at the time, I was nauseous. Eventually, I was on a strict drug regimen of Reglan (4x a day) and omeprazole (2x a day). The amazing Dr. Stathos is one of 38 ped gastroenterologists in the United States that can prescribe Cisapride, a last resort drug used for GERD that is not on the market due to the slim possibility of giving the paitent an arrhythmia. After a battery of tests including x-rays, EKGs, and blood cultures, I was approved for the drug and started taking it (5x a day, and it as liquid, ick!) in February 2012. Well, as fate would have it, I developed an arrhythmia. So we stopped that right away ;) We then decided that the best (and only) option was surgery. I met with Dr. Rothenberg, a pediatric surgeon with an impeccable record with laprascopic Nissen fundolpications. A Nissen fundoplication is where they take a portion of the stomach and wrap it around the esophagus to create a tighter sphincter so the food in my stomach will stay there. That my friends, would be perfect, food staying in my stomach! So on April 19th, I walked into Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, ready to go. The surgery took about two hours, and I spent two nights at the hospital. The pain was ok, the worst part was just all the pain from the air that was pumped into my abdomen. Here's some pictures from the hospital~
Compression stockings to prevent blood clots, these were terrible!
After surgery, all is good!
Stomach, post surgery day 0
I went back to school six days after surgery but laid low for a while. I got hooked on a few daytime TV shows (Real Housewives of New Jersey!) and had some wonderful friends visit me, but was ready to get back in the swing of things!
My nurse, Jack;)
I was on a soft diet for the first three weeks, but then I was back to eating about everything. To this day, some things (steak, bread, pizza, sandwiches, burgers) are really hard to eat because it's difficult to swallow. I don't ever feel hungry which is good, but bad. It's common after a Nissen to not have much of an appetite but it's also very important that the patient gets enough nutrients, which was an issue and I've had to add protein powder to my diet to maintain a healthy weight. I can't have anything carbonated (i.miss.coke.) but life goes on ;) 

In early to mid May, I developed a horrible rash all on my stomach. It spread to my back and my chest and was incredibly itchy. Turns out I'm allergic to surgical glue, which is what they closed my incisions with. Because it had gone under the layers of skin and really inside me, the rash lurked and infected my incisions. The glue began to come off, but the inside still itched like crazy. I was on a steroid, hydroxyzine, and antibiotic to help it. I wish I had a picture of it, but I can assure you it was disgusting and ugly. So for the future, we now know stitches are the way to go ;)

I documented pictures of my stomach, to show the progress of my incision recovery. One thing is for sure now- I can never be a swimsuit model now ;)
Post surgery day 3
Post surgery day 18

Post surgery day 21
Post surgery day 33
Post surgery day 60, not too bad!
Here's one of my best pictures (not). I took it as I was coming out of anesthesia, which I guess was quite the experience. I remember bits and pieces of it. I was determined to take a picture to send to my friends, but was pretty loopy and crazy. I would ask my grandma when she showed up, then tell her I already knew that. I called my mom 'woman', which is what I call her only in pure frusturation. I guess then though, I was yelling loud and proud, making sure the nurse knew I addressed my mother as 'woman'. There was also a lot of tears, which of course were of joy. I remember those. I would go from hugging the nurse, to Grammy, to my mom, and begging to thank Dr. Rothenberg because he fixed me and made it so I would never throw up again. What a saint! The worst mistake I made however was forcing myself into an upright position. My muscles had been cut into and were weak, and there was also a ton of extra air in my abdomen that later hurt horribly. The parts I don't remember (thank goodness): flashing everyone (yikes. I was so mad they didn't let me wear my underwear into surgery!), begging for my underwear, falling asleep mid sentence, yelling at the guy who brought me to my room, talking about Nate the Great (hottest tennis manager at my school!), trying to sing (not the sharpest idea considering  had been intubated and my throat hurt horribly), and slipping out a few curse words about the pain in front of my Grammy (whoops). 
This one's for you friends ;)
I also fainted for the first time in the hospital. On another patient's bed. Skill. One of our family friends 2-year old daughter was diagnosed with stage IV neuroblastoma (prayers for Haven! xo) the day before my surgery and by pure coincidence was in the room next to mine. We went to visit after one of my walks around the floor that was just a little too much for me. I don't know how to explain fainting, but I vaguely remember my mom and Haven's parents and grandpa running over to me as I went down. My mom told me Haven just sat there, sucking on her pacifier, while I collapsed right next to her. ;) I woke up later with a nurse telling me that I should probably not walk as long or as far anymore ;)

But here we are today, June 19th 2012. I haven't thrown up since April 18 2012, as it's now physically impossible for me to. ;) It's very common for people to not be able to burp after the surgery, so I cherished all of my last burps before the surgery. Luckily, I can burp! Every burp is a mini celebration for me :)
If need be, I would have the surgery any day as I am basically cured from my GERD! Surgery truly is the best option, and I highly recommend it. Although my body still refluxes and I'm technically forever a GERDy girl, I am now free of looking for empty bathrooms, keeping barf bags in my backpack, and choosing not to eat so I wouldn't throw up. I thank the Lord everyday for His help in my healing process, as my quality of life has improved immensely and I am forever grateful to my surgeon, Dr. Rothenberg, my favorite pediatric gastroenterologist, Dr. Stathos, my parents, and my friends who helped me through recovery. But of course, I thank Dr. Rudolph Nissen for pioneering the procedure in 1955-- you're my hero. ;)

xo
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. I just had this surgery on April 10th 2013. It's nice to see you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete