"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."

About

Friday, November 22, 2013

Giving Thanks 22/30

November 22// I am thankful for books. Reading is my favorite past time, I've loved it forever. It's easy, and you can do it anywhere.

More specifically, today I am thankful for my favorite book, "My Sister's Keeper". It is the one exception to the rule in which you should never buy a book with the movie picture as the cover. I remember the day I bought it very distinctly. It was in the summer, the year before I was going to 8th grade. I went shopping with one of my middle school best friends that day, Madi. And boy did we shop. We both spent almost $60 at Aeropostale (such a middle school store), along with buying some body spray and lotion from Bath & Body Works, and of course, frappuccinos from Starbucks. I was about to leave for Virginia to visit my aunt and uncle and baby cousins so quickly before Madi's mom picked us up, I ran into Borders, which is now a massive Forever 21, and grabbed this book. They didn't have the non-movie cover and I just knew it was a book I had to read, and I had to read now. I was leaving for my trip in three days... I finished the book in one.
I remember reading it so quickly, yet so slowly, trying to savor every word. I quickly fell in love with Jodi Picoult's writing.

I love that this book has pages that are dog earred and wrinkled, and the covers edges are peeling and fading. I've got parts memorized and always cry whenever I read it. I've never had a book that I loved so much and that left me so inspired.

My sister, who's in 8th grade, wanted to borrow my book. I almost didn't let her because she just seemed too young for such a complex story, but then I realized that I was younger than her when I read the book. I didn't want to restrict her from the greatest book ever-- especially one that left me more than inspired. I remember when she finished it, and came to me, confused and upset with the ending. Oh Olivia, how I feel with ya.

My Sister's Keeper was also the book that clicked a piece of the puzzle inside me together. I read the book, gaining more than perspective but a call to action. It's the book that really made me think about what I wanted to do with my life. Seventh grade, I knew I wanted to help people through medicine. I dabbled with the idea of being a neonatologist or a pediatrician. But reading My Sister's Keeper opened my eyes up to oncology and there's always been a piece that has stuck with me. After reading that book, I knew for sure I was going to be a doctor, and a darn good one. It made me realize how I will do anything and everything to help people who are sick, whether that be through donating blood or cutting my hair for wigs for cancer patients, I want to do anything to give someone life, because it has been a gift for me.

At my high school, as seniors, we have to do a project in order to graduate. They want you to choose something that you're interested in, something with a learning curve, something that maybe you can use down the road in life. I chose to shadow an oncologist and research bone marrow transplants. I'm writing my research paper on the ethics of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, which is what My Sister's Keeper is completely based on.

If you haven't read My Sister's Keeper, do it. I promise that it won't disappoint.
my favorite santa knit socks, striped leggings, and the best book ever.
Oh, and the movie is alright. It's different than the book, I'll tell you that, but I won't tell you how. I  cried, but I cry easily at movies so there's that. (I just rewatched the trailer and almost started crying, it hits me bone deep) But Abigail Breslin is in it and she is my favorite actress ever so you can enjoy that too.

And this song from the movie is a favorite- it's a reminder that life is a precious gift.

xo
Hannah

PS: Happy 18th birthday Maddison! I hope you had the best day ever! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment