![]() |
| the roots of a sequoia// stand firm like the roots of a sequoia; be strong, bloom where you are planted, be not moved. |
If there's one thing I've learned about truly being you is that you have to learn to accept that not everyone will like you.
Someone once said "You could be the sweetest peach in the whole wide world but there's always going to be someone who doesn't like peaches." That's the truth of all truths.
"Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" is probably the world's biggest lie. Because words are what hurt the most. We go around desiring the approval of others. But why? You have to ask yourself, "Do I like me?" If the answer is yes, then perfect! Life is a lot easier now. If you like who you are, then what's the point of trying to be someone else?
I think receiving negative criticism has been one of the most useful tools of life. My feelings have been hurt more times than I can count. It's not because I'm sensitive; it's because I'm human. You can't please everyone, and that's a lesson you need to learn early on in life. So welcome the haters! If you don't like me, so be it. Having haters means that you stood up for something you believed in. The best part about these people in high school is you get to ask yourself, "Will these people be actively involved in my life in one year?" One year from now, who knows where I'll be. I could be in Boulder, Spokane, Eugene, Denver, who knows! But I can almost guarantee the people who give me grief now won't be with me. The people who I love, the one's that matter most, will still be there for me. That's what matters.
In a recent college writing supplement, I was asked what sets me apart, what are my best character qualities. These questions are always really hard for me to answer. It's like they want you to brag about yourself, which we've always been taught is wrong. A little tip an admissions counselor once told me was to have your parents or close friends answer the question. What makes you great? My mom, dad, aunt, and grandma all said the same thing- I stand firm. I'm independent, I make plans, I make sure they happen. Whatever curve balls life throws you, just stand firm. That's my only advice. Be unwavering, steadfast in your beliefs, true to who you are.
The moral of this blog post is cliche, it's teenager, but it's something I wish I would have realized much earlier. Do not change for anyone. Ever. You are you for a reason, be unique. As the big, bad future is put in front of me, it's time to choose what matters.
Best friends that are loyal, honest, and true.
Family that bugs you about everything but would do anything for you.
Little daily gifts like Starbucks, going to bed early, and yummy candles.
Knowing what you stand for.
xo
Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment