I've had my health ups and downs, but ultimately, I am happy, healthy, and I feel terrific! I read a lot of books and blogs and watch a lot of movies and documentaries where people are sick and because of them, my eyes have been opened up to how tiny are issues are in the grand scheme of things. A primary motive of mine in being a doctor is giving everyone an opportunity at life because everyone deserves it.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital has always been one of my favorite organizations. Pediatric cancer has a special place in my heart and I've secretly always dreamed of being the doctor who finds the cure for cancer;) Until then though, I do what I can. My favorite campaign of theirs is the Thanks and Giving campaign. Their slogan, which just sticks with me especially in the holiday season is "Give thanks for the healthy kids in your life, and give to those who are not"
Yesterday I had the opportunity to give. I donated blood and there was such satisfaction that came with it. Although I felt a little faint afterwards, it was worth it in the end to know that my blood could go to help someone who really needs it. I encourage everyone to go donate blood-- only 37% people in the US are eligible to donate, and only 10% actually do. It hurts less than a flu shot, and you get free snacks afterwards;) Plus, it's kinda cool to see a whole pint of your blood just sitting there in a bag. Donating 8 times means you've donated a gallon of blood! Can you imagine seeing a whole gallon of blood? That would probably make me a little sick, to be quite honest. But that's a whole lot of helping!
So today, I give thanks for my health, and give to those who are not.
xo
Hannah
PS: speaking of health... s/o to Jess who got her wisdom teeth out today! I feel your pain and hope that it goes away fast! Ice and take those drugs! And if you're interested in seeing the side effects of coming out of anesthesia, I'm sure you'll more than enjoy this video
No comments:
Post a Comment